This savory-sweet, exotic side dish lends any buffet a festive accent.
- 2 cups chicken stock (or substitute vegetable stock)
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 carrots, peeled, cooked, and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup currants or raisins
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 scallion greens, finely sliced
Bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the saffron, then the couscous. Remove from heat, stir, and cover. Let stand for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, transfer couscous to a mixing bowl and fluff with a fork. Add the carrots, pine nuts, currants, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with scallion greens.