arroz con pollo
This recipe is a shortcut to a one-pot meal. I use organic rotisserie chicken from my local market, but of course you can roast your own, if you prefer.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons adobo seasoning
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- ¼ cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 2 whole roasted chickens, cut up into pieces
- ½ cup green peas
- ¼ cup chopped green olives
- 16-ounce can black or pinto beans, drained, rinsed, and warmed for serving
In a large stockpot, Dutch oven, or deep skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic. Add the rice and stir. Add the stock, wine, adobo, saffron, and peppers and stir. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and arrange the chicken pieces atop the rice. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked. Add the peas and the olives, then stir and let the pot stand off the heat for another 5 or 10 minutes before serving with the beans on the side.