sweet & spicy parmesan popcorn
The marriage of salty Parmesan and sweet brown sugar is a match made in heaven, if you ask me. One fateful day I discovered this combo, and I’ve never looked back. I’ve even smuggled it into the movies.
- 1 package plain microwave popcorn
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup good-quality grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Prepare the popcorn according to package instructions.
Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Combine the brown sugar, Parmesan, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. To keep butter from making the popcorn soggy, transfer the melted butter into a small spray bottle, misting the popcorn while tossing it in the bowl. (I promise it’s worth it, but if you don’t do this, add the butter slowly, a teaspoon at a time, while tossing.) Sprinkle the Parmesan mixture over the popcorn, tossing to coat.