party like a vampire
With the premier of True Blood’s new season this Sunday on HBO, I’ve come up with a fang-tablous party centerpiece inspired by the show. I created this look using wine bottles, taper candles and some dramatic vamp-inspired accents like fleur-de-lys and damask. If you’d like to recreate this project, here’s a how-to:
Here’s what you need:
- 1 750 mL wine bottle (we used a Bordeaux style bottle)
- 3 375 mL wine bottles (half bottles)
- 4 silver 10″ taper candles (not to worry – this silver is safe for your vampire friends)
- 1 14″ round decorative tray
- 1 can white spray paint (flat finish)
- Decorative damask stickers in black
- 9 decorative fleur de lys (matching or various)
- Black beaded trim (about 5 feet – enough for the circumference of your tray and the tops of the bottles)
- 1 package press-on alphabet stickers
- 10 glue dots
1. Remove labels and wash wine bottles until surface is clean. Dry the bottles and spray them with two to three coats of the white spray paint, letting each coat dry in between applications.
2. Apply damask stickers, fleur de lys and press-on letters. (Note: we used Royal Street in honor of New Orleans as the show is set in Louisiana, but you can use your favorite character’s name or ‘Bon Temps’, the town where the show takes place).
3. Finish the tray and bottle tops with the decorative trim using glue dots or other adhesive.
4. Arrange the bottles on the tray with the larger one in the center. Insert taper candles.
5. Light the candles just before your guests arrive, pour everyone a glass of true blood and wait for the fun to begin at sundown.